Ontario driver arrested after six-hour chase

A six-hour police chase of a man believed to be possibly armed moved erratically through South Los Angeles at low speed Tuesday night on several freeways in Southern California before concluding about 40 miles east of Los Angeles. Angels The chase began around 7:04 p.m., following a report of a man with a weapon, according to the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD). After the chase ended in Ontario, police said no weapons were found. Sgt. Juan Garcia was among the officers involved in the chase and said the possibility that the man was armed was one of the reasons officers did not attempt a PIT maneuver to turn the car and end the marathon chase. l gas tank in your vehicles. The driver apparently had a full tank of gas, he said. The driver was arrested on suspicion of the crime of evasion. He also had two outstanding arrest warrants for robbery, police said. Sister station NBC4’s Newschopper4 began broadcasting the chase around 7:10 p.m., while the car was in a neighborhood at high speed. The silver car was even in the wrong lane on the street several times. The driver was accelerating on La Cienega Boulevard, heading north, before entering Slauson Avenue. Several times, the driver again strayed out of the correct lane to avoid traffic and ran red lights. The driver then decided to head south on Crenshaw Boulevard, proceeding recklessly through the Hyde Park neighborhood for an extended time, returning several times to Crenshaw Boulevard. The driver entered Highway 110 heading south, merged onto the highway at low speed, and changed lanes during his journey. The driver appeared to be on a cell phone while he was driving. The chase continued on the 110 Freeway heading south at around 7:53 p.m., passing the 105 Freeway. While the driver was occasionally under the speed limit, the car also reached more than 90 mph. At one point, the chase was on Highway 110 southbound in Wilmington, where the driver appeared to change clothes inside the car. After reaching the end of Highway 110 in San Pedro, the driver made a U-turn and returned north on Highway 110.

Chase speeds were drastically reduced, with the car constantly moving at 30-40 mph and even descending at single digit speeds multiple times. After traveling down the freeway for an extended period of time, the chase finally reached downtown Los Angeles around 9:05 p.m., nearly two hours after the chase began. As it continued to move at low speed, the chase passed the three-hour mark on Highway 10 with the car’s front tires badly damaged. The chase continued down Highway 10 and reached Baldwin Park shortly after 11 p.m., reaching the four-hour mark with the left front tire fully mounted on metal wheels.

As the driver continued to play cat and mouse with the police, the chase lasted until its fifth hour. The buildup of traffic behind the chase could be seen for miles, as the cars were forced to travel at the slow pace set by the chase vehicle. Approaching six o’clock, the silver Chevy continued to play with the police to stop and then pull away as it passed through the intersection of Kellogg Avenue.

In the last hour of the chase, sparks flew when the car had apparently had enough of driving without tires. The chase finally ended, and the driver opened the door and got out. However, the driver did not give up immediately, as he kept lowering his hands to his sides after lifting them. The confrontation continued but the helicopter had to leave as the driver was literally in a clash with police on Highway 10 in Ontario at 1:25 a.m. Moments later, NBCLA photojournalist Alex Vasquez reported that police had arrested the driver and ended the marathon chase.

Leave a Comment